Every spring, high school students in the Georgia Local Section participate in the United States National Chemistry Olympiad (USNCO) competition. The program is intended to encourage American youth to achieve excellence in chemistry and is a multi-tiered process with competitions at the local, national and international level. More information is available at the UNSCO website »
Kennesaw State University (KSU) will serve as a host for the annual Georgia Chemistry Olympiad. The competition is sponsored by the Georgia Section of the American Chemical Society (ACS) and the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry.
Online registration opens in mid-December and closes in mid-January each year. Please check with your high school chemistry teacher first to see if your school is participating. Students who are home schooled or whose high school is not participating are welcome to register as individuals.
Online registration for the 2019 Georgia Chemistry Olympiad Competition is now closed.
Student Eligibility Requirements:
- Students must be U.S. citizens or legal, permanent residents of the United States (green card holders) to take the U.S. national examination.
- High school students who will graduate no earlier than Spring of the year that they participate in the competition are eligible.
- Students must be under the 20 years of age on the first of July of the year of the competition.
- Local level: A sixty-question multiple choice exam is used to identify the top thirteen students (no more than two per high school). This exam can be administered on site at high schools or students can take the exam at Kennesaw State University.
- National level: Based on the local exam results, thirteen students are identified to take the national exam at Kennesaw State University. This national exam has three parts: a sixty-question multiple choice exam, an eight-question free response exam, and a laboratory practical exam.
- International level: Twenty students are selected based on their national exam scores to spend two weeks at a study camp demonstrating their ability. Four students are then chosen to represent the United States at the International Chemistry Olympiad (IChO).
- Mid-December thru mid-January: Online registration
- 1st Saturday in March: Chemistry tutorials at Kennesaw State University (KSU)
- Early to mid-March: Local exam administered at KSU
- 3rd Saturday in March: Local exam administered at KSU
- By March 25th: National finalists and alternatives notified
- By April 1st: USNCO notified about finalists
- 2nd Saturday in April: National Exam prep at KSU
- Late April: National exam administered at KSU
- Mid-May: 20 National finalists are notified; Honors and high school honors lists are published
- Mid-June: Stude Camp for national finalists
- Mid-July: International competition
Participation in the ACS Chemistry Olympiad program has substantially improved in the GLS over the past several years, however, we hope to increase participation even further. Please complete the online form below to receive email updates.
Forms for minors on KSU campus