The Bachelor of Science in Biology undergraduate degree program provides students with the opportunity to pursue a major field of concentration in biology with the necessary specialization to succeed in a wide array of post-baccalaureate opportunities. This program is shared between the Department of Ecology, Evolution, and Organismal Biology and the Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology.APPLY NOW
The following degree tracks include the course work and experience necessary for student success.
- General Biology Track - This track is designed to allow flexibility in preparing students for a multitude of biological roles. Students can design a course of study that will prepare them for work in private sectors, government agencies or for continued graduate education. Due to the variety of options in this track, students are strongly encouraged to meet with an academic advisor early to plan a course of study.
- Pre-Professional Track - This track is designed to prepare students for a multitude of post-baccalaureate education in the medical and professional fields. Course specifications exist for students interested in Human Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Dentistry, Optometry, and a number of related fields. Given the intense nature of the course requirements for many of these specialties, students are encouraged to talk to an advisor early in their course of study.
- Cell, Molecular, and Developmental Biology Track - This track is designed to prepare students for graduate school in a number of sub-disciplines that focus on cellular and sub-cellular processes or use a range of molecular techniques.
- Ecology/Environmental Biology Track - This track Is designed for students interested in pursuing a career in the field of Ecology or Environmental Biology. Students completing this track will have the knowledge and skills to pursue further graduate education or obtain environmentally-related professional positions in the public and private sector.
- Plant Biology Track - This track is designed for students interested in attending graduate school or entering the professional workforce where plants are the principal study organism.
- Microbiology Track - This track is designed for students with a strong interest in pursuing professional work or graduate education in microbiology. After completing the track, students will be qualified to sit for certification as Registered Microbiology Specialists in Food Safety and Quality Assurance, Pharmaceutical and Medical Devices, or Specialists in Microbiology.
- Biotechnology Track - This track is designed for students interested in pursuing a career in the multitude of biotechnology companies in the Atlanta region and around the world. This track replaces the Biotechnology degree and specifically targets the concepts and techniques necessary to make students marketable across a range of professional opportunities.
- Bioinformatics Track - This track is designed to prepare students for professional work or graduate education that uses bioinformatics. Bioinformatics underlies all genomic advances, encompassing principles and techniques for learning from sequence data stored in databases.
- Cytogenetics Track - This track is designed to prepare students for a variety of cytogenetic laboratory opportunities, from diagnostic and basic research to graduate studies in molecular cytogenetics. This training program is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences; students who complete the track are eligible to sit for national certification as a clinical cytogenetic specialist. For more information, please visit the Cytogenetics at Kennesaw State webpage »
- Biology Education Track - This track prepares students to teach adolescent learners in middle and high school biological science courses. This program allows students to pursue post-graduate opportunities as a biologist, while also providing professional education courses integrated with school-based teaching internships and mentored support, demonstrating all competencies expected of effective, reform-based science teachers.
Want more information? View program specifics in the KSU Catalog or make an appointment with your academic advisor in the CSM Advising Center to receive specific course information and important aspects of each of these tracks.